SKILLET AND FORGET IT: ROAST CHICKEN AND SEASONAL VEGGIES
I don't know about you, but I like it if my dinner includes vegetables and cooks while I shower off the makeup/ sunscreen/ shame of the day. This is a great recipe for winter or fall evenings that's warming, comforting, and easy. It's not the fastest meal, but because you can do something else while it roasts and it only uses a roasting tray and a skillet, I get it an 8/10 for ease.
1 LB Thin Cut Chicken Tenders
Large Sweet Potato
Box Cherry Tomatos
1 LB Carrots
4 TBSP Olive Oil
2 TBSP Garlic Powder (I use this when I'm lazy and tired after a long day)
2 TBSP Dried Oregano
2 TBSP Dried Basil
8-10 sprigs Fresh Thyme
1 tsp Red Pepper Flakes
Salt and Pepper to taste
1. Preheat your oven to 400 while you chop. Listen to Rage Against the Machine while you fantasize about chopping your Boss's dick off. Be careful of your manicure. Or like, your fingers.
2. Take half your spices and olive oil and pour that shit all over your carrots and sweet potatoes like you were prepping Channing Tatum's quad for an exfoliating massage. Salt and Pepper it because he like it tasty.
3. Throw that in the oven for 25-30 min and then take a shower, cry, pour yourself a glass of wine, or all of the above. If you're not interested in this after your day of work perhaps I should come to work for you.
4. Check your veggies and when they're almost done roasting, take the chicken and coat it in the rest of the olive oil/ seasoning. Put your cast iron skillet on high with a bit more olive oil to coat the pan and brown those baddies briefly on both sides (2-3 min) like you were at the Jersey Shore.
5. Slice the tomatoes in half and toss them in the pan sauce. Take your delicious oven veg and add it to the pan in a beautiful way that will photograph well for social media. Soak the roasting tray immediately so it's easy for whoever you're guilt tripping to do the dishes later to get the caramelized parts off. Remove the few inevitably burned pieces because you can't ever seem to cut one piece of potato the same size.
6. Add the whole beautiful skillet into the oven again for 5-10 minutes. Consider putting your head in back in it's place. Decide against it. Enjoy your yummy meal.