Super Easy+ Super Yummy+ Super Turmeric Saute
Who's exhausted? Who's creatively drained? Who just got home after a long day and a longer commute?
This is not a fancy, gorgeous looking recipe. This is not your perfectly timed, photographed, and farmer's market sourced meal. This is survival. This is Gritty. This.... Is life as a creative in NYC.
Did I take these photos on my phone? Absolutely. Does this recipe look gross? Sort of. Is it delicious? FUCK YES. Would I ever steer you wrong? If I know anything, it's how to make food taste good, and how to make something in 1-2 pans done in under 30 minutes so that I can stuff my face, clean up, and GET TO FUCKING SLEEP ALREADY (also known as writing blog posts in bed while scrolling Instagram, applying to castings and writing a song).
Things that make this recipe great for you/ also easy:
Frozen Kale (no prep+ amazing for you)
Turmeric (you can't taste it, don't worry, keep reading)
I serve it over quinoa (hello extra healthy protein carb type thing)
Ground chicken (no chopping, can be substituted with any protein of your choice)
Jar of Tomato sauce (YES I DID NOT MAKE IT FROM SCRATCH FROM TOMATOES GROWN BY 5TH GENERATION ITALIAN WOMEN IN BROOKLYN, YES IT WOULD BE BETTER IF I HAD THOSE KIND OF MOB CONNECTIONS OR FAMILY MEMBERS).
Me and my jar of tomato sauce doing the devil's work. Also I cook my quinoa in chicken broth because it's better that way.
Why I add Turmeric:
There are mixed reviews about the power of turmeric. However, in general, the majority of research agrees that while some people may experience a wide range of benefits while others may not, it does seem to have a subtle effect on a wide range of illnesses. Rather than focusing on that aspect today, I'm going to include my own anecdotal evidence, specifically for when I'm feeling run down.
I like to throw in some turmeric in my dishes if I feel under the weather or like I'm fighting a bug, because in my experience, it can help with congestion and general exhaustion (cutting out dairy helps for me too). So give it a try, take this with a grain of salt, and keep eating your veggies!
SUPER TURMERIC SAUTE
1/2 red onion
2 Tbsp EVOO
1 Tbsp butter
1 Package Frozen Spinach (I like organic if possible)
1 16oz package ground free range white meat chicken (or any protein you prefer)
2 heaping TBSP ground turmeric
2 tsp powdered garlic (THIS. IS. A. FAST. RECIPE. AND. I. HATE. CHOPPING. GARLIC)
Half a 16oz jar of tomato sauce (I like organic ones with more garlic or roasted veggies)
Salt and pepper to taste
1/4 cup water
1 tsp "Better Than Bouillon" or something likeminded
1 cup quinoa
2 cups water (or chicken broth if I have it)
2 heaping teaspoons "Better Than Bouillon" because I'm out of broth/time/hope
1. Heat up that OO, medium-heat style. Slam the butter in the pan.
2. Chop the onion. Maybe do a quick Instagram live while you chop it and listen to Etta James.
3. Let that onion sweat a bit. Add the meat. Brown that shit.
4. Add your spices. Watch it turn sickeningly yellow. DO. NOT. GET. TURMERIC. ON. YOUR. NEW. BEIGE. MANICURE.
5. Start the quinoa. If you don't know how to cook quinoa you might need to read another blog titled something like "How HAVE You Made It Through Life This Far?"
6. When the meat is half cooked, add the spinach.
7. Once the meat is entirely cooked through, add 1/4 cup of water, bouillon, and half a jar of your tomato sauce. Turn the heat up to med-high and let everything get real juicy and thickened up. Approximately 10 minutes.
8. Slop it in a bowl.
9. Shush up and eat.